In this tech tips operating procedure, we’ll look at how to operate a Kennedy Folding Skel with Front Guard and Quick release fifth wheel.
To Fold the Skel – load it up onto the prime-mover.
- Engage the PTO.
- Fold bolsters down.
- Push “Trailer up” button until the trailer rests on the truck ramps and the fifth wheel rocks forward.
- Push the “Cab-guard lock” button to it locks into position.
- Push “Trailer down” button until locked
- Proceed lifting the trailer up until it is rests on truck.
- Disengage the PTO and apply brakes.
- Finally chain down the trailer.
To unfold Skel – lower the trailer onto the ground.
- Unchain and lay down chain points.
- Release trailer brakes, engage PTO
- Push “Trailer off” button until 3rd axle hits the ground.
- Apply trailer brakes, then put foot on truck brakes.
- Unlock cab-guard lock. If locks fail to release put trailer down momentarily while foot brake is still on.
- Once locks release, continue to hold foot brake on and push “Trailer up” button to rock fifth wheel back until chains on fifth wheel are tight.
- You can now release the foot brake and push the “Trailer down” button to lower trailer to the ground.
- Fold Bolsters up until all are up.
- Finally release trailer brakes and let unit settle.